The Original Mattress Factory is one of very few mattress manufacturers left who still make two-sided, flippable mattresses. Two-sided mattresses can be flipped and rotated, and this process can provide a lot of valuable benefits.
Not sure if a two-sided mattress is right for you? We’re breaking down some things you may want to consider.
Pros of two-sided mattresses
- Minimize body impressions: A certain amount of body impressions is normal, especially early on as the materials in your mattress settle. But flipping and rotating your mattress regularly can help minimize these impressions by allowing the mattress to wear evenly across both sides.
- Improved long-term comfort and durability: A two-sided mattress is significantly more durable than a one-sided mattress. And while it’s important to remember that our comfort preferences can change over time, two-sided mattresses can maintain their feel longer than one-sided models.
- Longer mattress lifespan: Back when nearly all mattresses were two sided, the average lifespan of a mattress was 15 years or more. Now, it’s 5-7 years. Mainstream mattress manufacturers have cut on quality and cut their mattresses in half to go to one-sided models. This saves them money and gets you back in the market faster.
At OMF, we build our mattresses to last. We want to provide you with a good night’s sleep for many years to come.
Cons of two-sided mattresses
- A bit more maintenance. We recommend alternating flipping and rotating your mattress on a three-month schedule. For example, you’ll flip your mattress one season, and rotate it the next. But for one-sided mattresses, we recommend the same schedule but for rotation only. So it’s true: flipping is a bit more work.
That said, you aren’t required to follow any set schedule. You aren’t required to flip your mattress at all, if you’re not able or don’t want to. If you can only flip your mattress once a year instead of twice, you’ll still be getting more benefits than you would from a one-sided mattress.
- You may need assistance for a flip: Because our mattresses are made with the highest-quality materials and are two sided, they can get heavy. That means you may need assistance when it’s time to flip your mattress. If you don’t have a friend or family member who can help you out, we offer a flipping service for the price of an in-home delivery fee. Our delivery team will stop by your house to flip your mattress for you.
The myth of one-sided mattress “technology”
When OMF was founded in the 90s, the mainstream mattress brands all made two-sided mattresses. As they searched for ways to cut costs, they moved to primarily one-sided models. In order to explain this downgrade in quality, they said that the latest mattress technology meant they no longer needed to make two-sided mattresses.
All you need to do is look at the average mattress lifespans in the 90s vs. now to see that those statements were nothing but marketing spin. Their one-sided mattresses are lower quality and less durable, and expected lifespans are less than half of what they used to be.
There is no “technology” that has made one-sided mattresses as durable as a two-sided mattress.
The value of a two-sided, flippable mattress
A new mattress is an investment. At the Original Mattress Factory, we strive to offer you the best value: a better-quality mattress at a better price. We still build two-sided mattresses because they provide a better value for our customers. Two-sided mattresses provide improved long-term comfort and durability, so your dollar goes further and your investment lasts longer.
Ready to start your mattress buying journey? Come to The Original Mattress Factory first. No one knows more than our team about what makes a great mattress great. Whether you buy from us or not, you’ll be better prepared to make a smart mattress buying decision. Find a store near you.