An adjustable base allows you to raise the head and foot of your bed to the perfect height for reading, watching TV, and of course, sleeping. We’ve already talked about what you should look for in the perfect adjustable base, but what about the mattress?
Adjustable bases have all sorts of helpful features, but the mattress will have a big impact on your experience. You need a mattress that is supportive, comfortable, and durable in order to get the best value out of your new adjustable base.
Can any mattress be used on an adjustable base?
Not all mattresses can be used on an adjustable base. There are a lot of reasons why a mattress might not be a great fit for an adjustable base:
- Too thick: If a mattress is really thick, it may not bend and flex well.
- Too heavy: This is not a concern for our adjustable bases because they have a weight limit of 850 pounds, but low-quality bases that are often given away as freebies from mainstream mattress retailers have much lower weight limits. A high-quality mattress can be quite heavy, and it may be too much for that kind of base.
- Materials don’t bend and flex well: Hard mattresses in particular have materials that don’t bend and flex well.
What you should look for in a mattress for your adjustable base
There are a few factors you’ll want to consider when it comes to selecting a new mattress for your adjustable base:
Comfort: When you’re selecting a mattress for your adjustable base, you have options when it comes to the feel. They will range from very hard to very soft, and you’ll also be able to select between innerspring, specialty foam, and hybrid options. There’s no right or wrong answer when it comes to comfort, so just take your time when testing them out to find the one that works best for you.
Without a box spring, your mattress may feel a bit firmer on the solid base. Just keep that in mind when you’re selecting a mattress.
Support: Whether you’re using an adjustable base or not, support will be a huge factor in getting a good night’s sleep. Like comfort, support needs are going to vary a bit from person to person, but everyone could benefit from high-quality support. Remember: the support comes from the core of the mattress.
Durability: An adjustable base is used in place of the box spring. A real working box spring acts as a shock absorber for the mattress, improving its long-term comfort and durability. While adjustable bases offer tons of benefits, there is going to be a bit of a sacrifice when it comes to durability. So you’ll want to make sure you get a durable mattress to counteract that sacrifice as much as possible.
A two-sided, flippable mattress is a great option. A two-sided mattress can be flipped and rotated regularly to allow the mattress to wear evenly across both sides and minimize body impressions.
Mattresses we offer on adjustable bases
We offer nine different mattress options to pair with our adjustable bases. Note: All of our innerspring mattress options require a small modification to allow them to bend and flex. If you did not special order your innerspring mattress to work on an adjustable base, it will not be compatible.
- Regency Sapphire: A premium-quality innerspring mattress with a two-sided design and a medium feel.
- Regency Sapphire EuroTop: A premium-quality innerspring mattress with a one-sided Eurotop design and a soft feel.
- Regency Sapphire Hybrid: A premium-quality innerspring mattress with a one-sided hybrid design and our softest feel. A hybrid mattress combines the active support of an innerspring with memory foam.
- Orthopedic Extra Firm: Our highest-quality innerspring mattress with a two-sided design and a hard feel. This is going to be the firmest option available for adjustable bases.
- Orthopedic Luxury Firm: Our highest-quality innerspring mattress with a two-sided design and a medium feel.
- Orthopedic Pillow Top: Our highest-quality innerspring mattress with a two-sided, pillow top design and a medium feel.
- Serenity: A top-of-the-line memory foam mattress with a one-sided design and a medium-soft feel.
- Serenity Plush: A top-of-the-line memory foam mattress with a one-sided design and a soft feel.
- Serenity Latex: A top-of-the-line latex foam mattress with a two-sided design and a soft feel. Latex foam has a bouncy quality which gives the mattress a unique feel.
You can view all of these mattresses as well as prices when paired with the different adjustable bases if you click on each base model on this page.
Ready to start your mattress buying journey? Come to The Original Mattress Factory first. No one knows more than our team about what makes a great mattress great. Whether you buy from us or not, you’ll be better prepared to make a smart mattress buying decision. Find a store near you.