A new mattress is an investment. As with any big purchase, you’ll want to ensure that it is protected and cared for so that you can maximize its lifespan and enjoy it for many years. A mattress protector is a great way to protect your investment from spills and accidents. But, it also offers less obvious benefits as well, such as odor resistance, allergen and dust mite blocking, and, depending on the type of protector, protection from bed bugs.
Spills, leaks, and accidents that put your mattress at risk are bound to happen. Add children or pets into the mix and you can pretty much guarantee that your mattress will be exposed to liquid at some point. Protection against spills and accidents is crucial as liquids can damage the materials in your mattress. Further, many mattress companies will void your warranty if your bed is soiled or significantly stained.
When looking for a mattress protector, you should consider the following:
- 100% water-resistant
- Breathable and quiet: Mattress protectors have come a long way and good ones are no longer crinkly and loud like those of the past.
- Washing machine and dryer safe: Because OMF's protectors are not laminated, they can be washed in warm water and dried on medium heat.
- Stain, odor, and bacteria-resistant
- Allergen and dust mite blocking
- For added convenience, some protectors, such as our CleanShield can be spot-cleaned. This means that a spill will bead on the surface of the protector, allowing the user to wipe it away with a cloth instead of needing to launder it after spills.
At The Original Mattress Factory, we offer two varieties of fitted-sheet style protectors: Tranquil and CleanShield. While both offer an effective and proven moisture barrier against accidents, spills, dust mites, allergens, and sweat, there two key differences:
- The CleanShield is made in the USA.
- The CleanShield features Crypton waterproof technology. This means that liquids roll right off, stains clean easily, and odors won’t grab hold. It also means that spills can be spot-cleaned and wiped from the surface of the protector with a cloth. While the Tranquil provides excellent protection, it must be laundered after coming into contact with liquid.
Another type of mattress protector to consider is a full encasement such as the Allerzip Mattress Encasement. Encasements zip around your entire mattress, protecting it on all six sides. In addition to blocking accidents, spills, and stains, it also is bedbug-proof, entry-proof, and escape-proof with a patented BugLock Secure Seal three-sided zipper. It is also certified asthma and allergy friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
Protecting your investment with a high-quality mattress protector or encasement will pay dividends for years to come. Visit one of our stores to see these products in person or visit Originalmattress.com to learn more.