Standard-size mattresses (i.e. twin, twin XL, full, full XL, queen, king, and California king) are easy to find, but if you need a mattress in a non-standard size or shape for your antique bed, boat, or RV, your options may be a bit more limited. But The Original Mattress Factory is here to help! Because we are a factory-direct operation, we’re able to make custom mattresses in nearly any size and shape.
Types of custom mattresses we can build
The different types of custom mattresses we can build include:
- Mattresses for antique beds: Antique beds often come in unique sizes and may require corner cuts to accommodate bed posts.
- Boat mattresses: Boat mattresses can come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. They may need to have beveled edges to fit snuggly into the bow of a boat. They may need to be a split size in order to fit into a tight space.
- RV mattresses: RV mattresses are typically a bit smaller than standard size mattresses and may require special features like hinging and corner cuts to fit in a tight space.
- Truck mattresses: Like RV mattresses, these may need to fit into tight spaces.
- Non-standard sizes: Three-quarter, three-quarter short, California queens, Olympic queen, and super singles are some of the common non-standard sizes we build. But we can also build custom mattresses to whatever your desired dimensions may be. We have even built mattresses much larger than standard sizes for professional athletes who are too tall to fit comfortably on a standard mattress. This includes mattress lengths of 90-96 inches.
- Sleeper sofa mattresses: We build a mattress that is able to be stowed away in a pull-out couch.
- Hospital mattresses: Whether you need a bulk order for a healthcare facility or just one for a family member’s in-home care, we can make waterproof mattresses that are able to bend and flex with a hospital adjustable base.
Note: Due to additional regulations on crib mattresses, we are not able to build them at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience.
We can also add special features to your mattress, no matter the size or shape:
- Hinging: Hinging allows the mattress to fold from head to foot in either direction to allow for easier transport. All of our king and California king mattresses come standard with a hinge, but we can add a hinge to any innerspring model.
- Gatching: Gatching allows the innerspring mattress to bend and flex for use on an adjustable base. Not all models are a good fit for adjustable bases because the materials may not flex well or the mattress may be too thick.
- Corner cuts: RV mattresses often need beveled corners to fit into a tight space.
- Low-profile and/or split box springs: Low-profile box springs are 5 inches tall (compared to 8 inches in a standard box spring) and can help lower your mattress to a comfortable height for you. Split box springs come standard in our king and California king sets, but we can custom make them for other sizes for easier transport. And we can also make split low-profile box springs, so you can get the best of both options.
Note: While we can build you a custom mattress in nearly any size and shape, you may have some difficulty finding bedding that will fit an unusual size or shape.
How to get started
Because there are so many different sizes, shapes, and models to choose from, it’s impossible for us to concisely break down all of the options and prices available. If you reach out to your local store (or shoot us an email at email@example.com if you don’t live near one of our locations), our team can help walk you through all of the options and get the process started.
The exact dimensions of the finished product may vary a bit depending on which model you select. In our innerspring models, we achieve custom sizes and shapes by adding or removing rows of the innerspring coils (or individual coils themselves, as is the case in corner cuts). The size of those coils varies from line to line, so there will ultimately be some variance in the final dimensions. But our team can walk you through your options and give you an estimate of what the final dimensions will look like.
We offer a polyurethane foam custom mattress product that can help you get closer to an exact fit which is a great option for boat mattresses that are often very unique shapes. If we can use your current boat mattress as a template, it can help ensure the mattress will fit well.
Ready to start your mattress buying journey? Come to The Original Mattress Factory first. No one knows more than our team about what makes a great mattress great. Whether you buy from us or not, you’ll be better prepared to make a smart mattress buying decision. Find a store near you.