If you own a camper or RV, you don’t have to settle for a low-quality, uncomfortable mattress just because you’re limited on space. RV or camper mattresses often come in unique sizes or require modifications to fit in the allotted space.
At The Original Mattress Factory, we hand build custom mattresses for RVs, campers, antique beds, and more in nearly any size and shape. So we’re sharing what you need to know about common RV mattresses sizes — as well as some other factors you may not have considered when it comes to selecting your next RV mattress.
RV mattress sizes
- RV short king: In addition to commonly being narrower than a standard king, an RV short king mattress is five inches shorter. Like an RV king, it will likely fold in half and may require corner cuts.
- RV queen: An RV queen is the same dimensions as a standard queen-size mattress, but may require modifications to fold in half and/or corner cuts.
- RV short queen: An RV short queen is typically shorter than a standard queen-size mattress by 5 or 6 inches.
- RV three-quarter: A three-quarter mattress is typically 48 x 75 inches.
- RV three-quarter short: A three-quarter short mattress is typically 3 inches shorter than a three-quarter mattress.
- RV bunk mattresses: Bunk beds in RVs vary in size quite a bit depending on your unique RV model.
Other factors to consider with RV mattresses
- Mattress thickness: When you’re limited on space (especially in bunks or other tight quarters), you’ll want to make sure you don’t get a mattress that is too thick. You’ll want to get in and out of bed comfortably and have plenty of room between the sleeper and the ceiling or upper bunk. You also want to be sure you open any doors, drawers, and cabinets around the bed to verify you have plenty of room.
- Corner cuts: Some RV mattresses require modifications to the corners. These are called corner cuts. Many mainstream mattress manufacturers may not be able to make mattresses with corner cuts, but we can at OMF.
- Rounded corners: Some RV or camper mattresses — like those commonly found in Airstreams — may need rounded corners. We can make those modifications for a better fit in irregular spaces.
- Mattresses that fold in half: You want a mattress that fits in the tight space, of course, but you’ll also need one that you can easily get into your RV or camper. We can make a mattress in any size that can be folded in half from head to foot to make it easier to move in and out of any small space.
- Support, durability, and comfort: You don’t have to sacrifice on support, durability, or comfort just because you need a custom size. Your custom-size RV mattress can still have a high-quality supportive innerspring. It can be a two-sided, flippable mattress that offers long-term comfort and durability. And you can choose a mattress that fits your comfort preference.
Hand-built custom RV mattresses
At The Original Mattress Factory, our team can help you find the perfect mattress for you and custom build it to the size and shape you need. We hand build our mattresses in our 12 factories around the U.S. using the highest-quality materials. Our factory-direct model means you can get a better mattress at a better price.
Interested in getting a custom RV mattress? Stop by an OMF location, give us a call, or fill out the quote from linked below. Our team will walk you through the process and get you a quote. We can use your current RV mattress as a template, or we can walk you through how to make your own template using cardboard.
Ready to start your mattress buying journey? Come to The Original Mattress Factory first. No one knows more than our team about what makes a great mattress great. Whether you buy from us or not, you’ll be better prepared to make a smart mattress buying decision. Find a store near you.