A mattress is an investment, so it’s important to take care of it to ensure it will give you a good night’s sleep for years to come. That means using a mattress protector to keep it clean and flipping and/or rotating it regularly to help it wear evenly. It also means giving your mattress the proper support so it can give you proper support.
What you place your mattress on will have a big impact on how long it lasts. So let’s talk about some of your options: a bed frame vs. a platform bed.
When possible, we recommend pairing your new mattress with a real working box spring and a heavy-duty frame. The combination of a mattress set and high-quality bed frame will offer the best support and durability for your mattress. Learn more about the benefits of a box spring here.
Bed frames can often be paired with a headboard and/or footboard to give your bed some style.
But not all bed frames are created equal! There are plenty of flimsy, low-quality frames out there and they could potentially cause damage to your new mattress set.
Our high-quality frames are manufactured in the U.S. and feature:
- The world’s strongest wedge-lock system.
- A center support rail with a foot that touches in the floor in full, queen, and king sizes.
- Compatibility with most bolt-on headboard and footboards.
- Carpet rollers or glides.
- Designed to work with low-profile glides or bed risers to accommodate different height options.
Platform beds have become a popular option over the last two decades. This style of bed doesn’t typically accommodate a box spring or foundation. Mainstream mattress brands have moved away from real working box springs in favor of rigid foundations that don’t provide any real benefits. Online bed-in-a-box companies have taken it a step further and often don’t offer a box spring or foundation at all — they wouldn’t be easy to shrink wrap and stuff in a box, after all!
While we do recommend pairing your new mattress with a real working box spring and heavy-duty frame, that doesn’t mean you can’t opt for a platform bed. You may make some sacrifices in terms of durability, but it’s ultimately about finding a set up that works best for you! Using a platform bed will not void your warranty, but there are some steps you’ll want to take to ensure you set your new mattress up for proper support.
Some considerations for using a platform bed include:
- In sizes full and larger, you’ll want to make sure it has a foot that touches the floor in the center of the bed to provide proper support to your mattress.
- You may want to consider a bunk board. Platform beds often feature slats, which may cause your mattress to sink in between the gaps. A bunk board provides a solid surface for your mattress to rest on.
- Without a box spring, your mattress will feel a bit firmer and won’t be quite as durable.
Our adjustable bases are compatible with most beds, including platform beds.
What works best for you?
At The Original Mattress Factory, we understand that everyone has different preferences and priorities. We believe in the quality and benefits offered by both our real, flexing box springs and our heavy-duty bed frame. Our role in your mattress buying journey is to present your options and their respective benefits, but the decision is ultimately up to you!
Ready to start your mattress buying journey? Come to The Original Mattress Factory first. No one knows more than our team about what makes a great mattress great. Whether you buy from us or not, you’ll be better prepared to make a smart mattress buying decision. Find a store near you.